Saturday, January 10, 2009

E11 k-bells [#00006] CrossFit Pull-Up WOD


Friday 9th January Workout

I decided to hit a CrossFit WOD (workout of the day) today in light of my knee and back issues. I chose to attempt a pretty daunting pull-up workout which turned out to be just as rough as I had anticipated!

The Workout

10 rounds for time of:
-3x weighted pull-ups @ 45#
-5x strict pull-ups
-7x kipping pull-ups

*The goal was also to stay on the bar for each set of 3 different pull-ups (3,5,7) and count the number of times you drop off the bar, which makes this workout brutal!

I completed the workout in 27:37. I had completed the first round unbroken, then generally dropped off the bar between each set of 3,5 & 7 after that. I completed the weighted pull-ups with 45# for sets 1-3, then switched to 35# for sets 4 & 5 and hit the last 5 sets with 25#. The weighted and strict pull-ups felt really awkward after becoming accustomed  to doing kipping pull-ups the majority of the time.  

I wasn't that happy with this initially happy with this time until I checked out the scores put up by other crossfitters on the CF main site. As it turns out most had a hard time with this WOD and in retrospect my time was fairly respectable.

I played around a little after the workout as I had a little time...

I started working on some handstand push-ups against the wall. It was a little difficult at first, but after feeling it out I was able to make the movement more efficient. I performed them in single reps initially and then progressed to 2 reps, finally finishing with a couple of sets pushing out 3 reps unbroken. 

I finished the day off with some handstand practice. My first time attempting handstands since high school! They weren't too pretty at first, but after a lot of failed attempts I was able to begin stabilizing myself enough to hold the handstand for up to 3 seconds. I finished off with two successful 5 second holds, which I was really happy with! Handstand practice sounds easy, but try it for yourself, it's quite difficult and physically taxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment